Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Cardinal Christmas


This is one of my favorite Christmas cards this year and my Grandmother would have loved it too since she loved birds. She even had several bird ornaments that she put on her Christmas tree every year, a cardinal being one of them.

When I was putting it together each layer ended up getting tweaked just a bit each time I made another one and here's the one I like the best. 

On to the details...I started out with GP white for the base, added a kraft layer and then cut some DP from DCWV Christmas Combo stack (yes I bought another stack of paper, I'm seriously going to start wallpapering with it).  I ran the dp through the cuttlebug using the SU folder petals a plenty.  The other dp is also DCWV from the luxury stack and its really glossy and shimmery in person which I couldn't capture in the photo.  I layered it with SU riding hood red and added the scalloped edge to the bottom.

Now silly me didn't write down my cricut cuts so I'm going to try to remember how I did it.  The bird was cut from Winter Woodland at 2 1/2 I believe if not 2 1/2 then definitely 2 in.  I used some riding hood red ink on the bird and sponged around the edges.  The branch came from the same cart also cut at 2 in or 2 1/2. I really need to remember to write my cuts down if I'm going to post them....ugh!  I added some snow to the branch with a white marker and then covered it with some diamond stickles. 

The ornament is SU.  I stamped it in Antique Linen with the polka dot ornament stamp and then took the Merry Christmas sentiment from SU's Holiday Best and stamped it in riding hood red over top.  Then I punched out the ornament.  This card seems like its a lot of work but really the cricut does most of the work for you.  Oh and not to forget the snowflakes they are MS punch. 

Hope you enjoyed this Christmas card. Just a 2 more weeks and we'll have our Christmas decs up. I can't believe it.

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Absolutely gorgeous Carrie!

jimlynn said...

WOW Carrie.....this is GORGEOUS!!! What a lovely card for the holidays. Love everything about this.
Lynn

Mary G. said...

Carrie, this is absolutely gorgeous!!! All the added details make this a truly beautiful card!!

Tami said...

I really like the embossing. Great job

Karli said...

I have to agree- gorgeousness!!! Beautiful cricuting work too :) I love this cart so I will definitely be playing with it very soon! Big hugs~

The Mama Monkey said...

I love the vintage to look to this, Carrie! What a neat bird!

Laura said...

Carrie,I got to agree with you,It's my favorite too.I love the colors and that bird can never go wrong on a card.

Paige said...

Exquisite card! Beautifully designed!

Shelly Schmidt said...

I LOVE this wonderful card! I need a cricut for dummies class- you always make cool stuff with yours! TFS

Karen Howard said...

Beautiful cardinal and what a loving way to remember your grandmother! She'd be very proud! Hugs, Karen

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Hi Carrie! This is a real beauty! I love the red and "kraft" together!

Marilyn said...

Great card Carrie & I love all the texture on it & the reds make it pop!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails