Monday, January 17, 2011

HELLO


Ah, the days of the old rotary telephones when you actually used to pick it up to call someone...not use email, or text and no caller id, if you wanted to know who was on the other end you actually had to answer it..  No voicemail, answering machines (remember the days of the old cassette style answering machines where you had to change the tapes LOL)  When you'd get a call pulling the cord as far as it would reach to hide on the basement steps to have a private conversation so your parents didn't hear.  Anyone else old enough to remember all of that?  

So I picked up the cricut cart From My Kitchen with the plans to make some recipe scrapbook gifts for family.  Well I haven't gotten around to that yet but its on my to do list for this year.  So while browsing through the images I saw this telephone and LOVED it.  I had the handbook open to this page for weeks sitting on my desk reminding me that I needed to use the phone on something. 

So here it is ... I used the MOJO sketch 168 as a starting point.  I wanted something on the elegant side, maybe even a little vintage and that's where the idea for using the papers from the La Creme stack came from once I had that I had my color palette too. 

The base is crumb from SU trimmed with white cs using the scallop trim border punch.  I used my nesties  labels 2 to put the phone image on that I cut out at 2 1/2 inches.  I took a scrap piece of black card stock  and cut the bottom of it like a ribbon.  Stamped Hello from TPC Studio clear stamp set and punched it out with the curly label punch SU.  I then added my ribbon and if you look closely you will see that my ribbon is upside down.  Yes this is why I hardly ever add bows to my card.  I tried and tried and tried but no matter how I tied that bow the tails ended up at the top and the loops at the bottom so that's how it stayed!    Maybe I'll learn the trick one day in adding bows.

20 comments:

Scrapping Cat said...

Love this Carrie...so vintage looking, especially with the colors you chose...awesome card...and thanks for the memory jog too :)

Sarah said...

Nice card! Love the dp you used. You always pull vintage off, me, not so much.

Karli said...

LOVE IT!!! and everything about it- luuuv this paper collection too :) Great take on this sketch. Hope you're submitting your cricut cards to their new mag for publication :)Hugs~

Lisa said...

See, now the upside down bow I love! LOL..it could be your trademark style, Carrie!
What a great card! The phone has come a long way in our lifetime, hasn't it? I remember the rotary phone in my grandparents house and how "old fashioned" it was compared to our push button phone! And it brings back memories of my teen days when I was practically connected to the phone...and before call waiting, when my dad's rule was that I could use the phone between 20 minutes after the hour and the next hour, but the line had to be free for the first twenty minutes of each hour in case someone wanted to call HIM! LOL!
When Chris was a baby, I thought having a cordless phone was SO cool and SO convenient..it made me so happy. And recently we changed our phone plan and now have caller ID for the first time...it's wonderful to not have to pick up the phone for those recorded calls or surveys! And I like answering the phone and greeting the person calling!
Cell phones, on the other hand...love 'em for emergencies and to keep connected w/ the kids. But not really into being THAT accessible LOL. And most people don't even talk on them anymore..it's all about texting now.

Yes, phones have changed! Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Carrie! I'd like to suggest that you case yourself...maybe w/ different colors...I always wanted a pink phone....

Have a good day! Sorry for the super long comment..hehe :)

jimlynn said...

Such a cute, cute, card Carrie....and yes, like the phone, I guess I'm probably "vintage" too! Oh, how I remember those days.
Lynn

KER said...

supper cute card...love the phone...bonus it's NOT a cell...lol

Gina said...

this is cute! I love the choice of colors, it really adds to that retro feel of the telephone. I have the old black rotary phone that was in my grandparents house for years and years. My friend was over here with her 5 year old and she could not believe that a was a phone!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

What a fabulous card Carrie! Yes, I remember! Party lines too...

Julie said...

What a fun card. I remember those phones. You brought back a lot of memories. Although I had to hide in the closet for privacy not the basement. hehehe

Mary G. said...

Unfortunately, yes, I AM old enough to remember those phones...and I remember party lines, too. I LOVE this card!!! The color combination is stunning!! Fabulous job, Carrie!!

Marilyn said...

Great card Carrie & I love your colour choices & paper & that phone is very cool.

Becki B said...

Unfortunately yes I do, remember party lines? Bill remembers the kind you cranked and asked the operator to connect you! LOL! Anyway gorgeous card, and a kid probably would ask "what's that?"

Just Me said...

Boy, do I remember those phones.
I also remember 2 & 4 party lines. I like the browns in your card. TFS

The Mama Monkey said...

LOL I had to explain to my kids what a phone like that was when we were in a museum over the holidays! Sad, sad, sad! I love how you went with the vintage look! Very fitting!

Alissa said...

You have the most elegant cards Carrie! The colors are so perfect and I love how everything coordinates so well!

Teresa Kline aka va.sunshine said...

this is a super card, I adore the colors and details...have a fabby weekend!

enjoy *~*

Karen Howard said...

Oh yah, I remember all that, LOL!!! Love the black, white and crumb cake colors together, very elegant! I have the same problem with my bows so if I wrap the ribbon around the paper and tie the bow I put right over left then turn the cardstock around so I'm tying the bow upside down and when I turn the card around it looks upside right otherwise I just cut a strip of ribbon and wrap it around the paper and tape the ends down on the back side then create a bow separately and use glue dots to adhere it. More than you wanted to know about bows I'm sure but gotta love them. Hugs, Karen

Shelly Schmidt said...

I love this great card- and your description of the phone with the cord stretched just as far as it will go.....! Bringing back memories of old..... You inspire me to use my cricut...

Kathy said...

Such a fun card, I'm old enough to remember having a phone like that one. Laughing at your memory of stretching the cord, I did that too! Such an elegant look, I love the twisty cord, too.

Monica said...

Ofcourse I remember those phones and those typewriters AND those manual sewing machines.

Infact I am looking for a phone like that to own but sadly all I find are those digital ones. I love vintage stuff.

Lovely card! I am happy to be onboard!

xxx Monica

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails